Sunday, October 11, 2009

Don't mess with my food... even if your name IS Peter Pan

So...After eating sauerkraut all weekend I thought it would be appropriate to discuss food. I love everything about food and I will admit I eat unhealthy foods most of the time. Some people think that all of the off brand foods or certain store brand foods are just as good as the name brand foods. This is true for some foods, ( some being used to describe a very small amount of foods) but definitely not all foods. Canned veggies, the same no matter what the brand. I mean you can't really mess up veggies. You pick them and throw them in some water. Which brings up a good point: water. I like bottled water and I am picky about what I drink but as far as bottled water goes I think it all comes from the same place. I find it fitting to bring up a great point about water. Those of you who live in the Dayton area are familiar with Dorothy Lane Market. It is a pricey grocery store for those of you who have not been. My deep blogging boyfriend insisted on buying a bottle of water from there once that cost somewhere between 2 and 3 dollars. I was appalled. It was just water in a fancy bottle. Anyways, when we got home I gave him Dayton City water from UD campus housing and the water from the bottle because he was sure he would be able to tell the difference. I'll have you know he chose the Dayton water. I rest my case on bottled water. However, there are some things that the name brand is the ways to go. JIF peanut butter can't be beat. What does peter pan have to do with peanut butter anyways? It does not hold a candle to JIF. Once when I was at a pampered chef party the lady told us that off brand grated cheese has saw dust in it. That may be a bit extreme, but I do find the Kraft pre packacged cheeses to taste way better than the off brand. I am also not a huge fan of the off brand of any Pillsbury item. I have this yummy recipe (from one of my followers) for chicken pot pie. It calls for two pie crusts. The last time we made it my mom tried to be sneaky and get the off brand. I questioned her after my first bite. My senses are no laughing matter. I can taste anything and I have the nose of a nine month pregnant woman at all times. Now, if some of you like off brands I am glad. They are definitely cheaper, and like I said, for SOME things it is ok. I just think that food is something not to be messed with and it is up for each person to try these items and see for themselves. For those of you who would like to challenge me on this I would do a taste test any day.

JKD

No comments:

Post a Comment